Family of Lockerbie Bomber to File New Appeal After Losing Latest Case

Ugandan Presidential Candidate Says Soldiers Stormed His Home
2021-01-15
European Stocks Close Notably Lower As Growth Worries, Virus Fears Weigh
2021-01-15
Show all

Family of Lockerbie Bomber to File New Appeal After Losing Latest Case

The family of the Libyan national convicted of the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland, in 1988 is lodging an appeal with the U.K. Supreme Court after Scottish judges threw out their bid to overturn his conviction.

The case, the family’s latest attempt to exonerate Abdelbaset al-Megrahi, who died in 2012, took on added significance last month when then-Attorney General William Barr announced plans to bring the alleged bomb-maker for late Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi to face charges in federal court in Washington for the attack, which killed 270 people.

U.S. prosecutors said Abu Agila Mohammad Masud, currently serving a separate 10-year sentence for bombmaking in Tripoli, the Libyan capital, confessed his role in the Lockerbie bombing to a Libyan law-enforcement officer in 2012.

An adviser to the Libyan government said it hadn’t yet made a decision on whether to turn Mr. Masud over, and lawyers for Megrahi’s family had suggested that if Megrahi had been cleared it might have raised questions about Libya’s involvement and complicated the U.S. case against Mr. Masud.

The court of appeal in Edinburgh, though, ruled Friday that Megrahi had been properly convicted in 2001 after the Scottish criminal cases review commission, which investigates suspected miscarriages of justice, returned the case to court.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *